Thursday, 5 June 2014

A Day Without My Cell Phone

My phone died on a bright summer afternoon last month. I felt the panic and rushed back to my room and placed it into the charger but to my surprise, my phone wasn't just charging. I tried everything, tighten the wire, plugging and unplugging but the blank screen stared at me with the low battery sign flashing while I try to stab the home and power button violently.

I did not know what to do. I felt helpless, I felt handicapped. I couldn't imagine my life without this device which is now lying lifeless in my palm but then I had to let it go and figure out a solution.

So I did. I went a whole day without my iPhone till my new charger arrived the very next day. The experience, you may ask was something that taught me a lesson.

My phone was dead and I had no idea how to proceed with the day further. No more calls, no more 'chimes' whatsapp notification, no more 'buzz' twitter and facebook updates. How will I stay in touch with people? I was scared to be isolated. But later on, I realized that nearly all phone calls I make or receive or the messages on various social networking sites I send or receive are useless and pointless. Yes, they bring you closer to people but virtually. The conversations however are pointless. Why not spend that time with real people, real connections? I stepped outside and connected with friends but this time, not virtually.

It was soon sunset and diner time. I live in my campus hostel (university student, here) and we get food here in the mess. As I was going with my friends for dinner, a mutual friend, rather a stranger for me arrived at the table. Normally, I would ignore such people by playing around with my phone but now as I had no such device in my hands, I greeted him and soon we became quite good friends. Another we start as strangers story? Hmm..

life-before-and-after-mobile-phones_5

Time for bed and for the first time in a long time I was able to sleep better and faster as I had nothing to glue my eyes into. Nothing that could occupy my mind and tell me to stay awake.

The next day, I got a charger but I did not charge my phone.

Life was better this way.

I no longer had the urge to see my missed notifications. I no longer wanted to stay in touch with people with whom I share no real connection. I could no longer waste my time procrastinating and can actually complete my job much earlier.

I was living in the current moment.

Like most people, I would argue that technology has been a boon to mankind and rightly so but too much of dependence on it can have repercussions, I believe.

My life has never been the same since that day.

I would love to hear your opinions on this.

Follow me on: Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Bloglovin

22 comments:

  1. As always, love your ability to write some random thought and do it really well. All of us tend to romanticize the past and blame modern technology even though most of us can't live without it :) A switched of cell phone would mean a pissed of client or a cheesed off boss for many. But i do agree that we are addicted to it and most of what we do with a smart phone is not the smartest thing we do with our lives. Keep writing and keep posting them...you phone can wait for a while to be charged :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modern technology is not all evil but as always said, anything of excess is bad. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. While I am happy that you may be on the verge of joining the luddite club (if not already a convert), the post made sense in a simple & beautiful manner. Very glad you shared the experience! Since the trend of being addicted to cellphones is particularly endemic to the fairer sex.
    Experience the joy of finding delight in the simplest of things, first hand, rather than having it told to you via facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. " Experience the joy of finding delight in the simplest of things, first hand, rather than having it told to you via facebook."

      Loved this. So true!

      Delete
  3. I have taken to coming home, plugging my phone in my room and then going elsewhere and ignoring it for a couple of hours. I need a break form all the notifications, the world does not cave in if I don't get them immediately. I actually did a 30 day cleanse in 2012 with no social media... that was really good for me, I didn't actually miss it... I missed the people I wanted to be in contact with regularly but the rest of it was no big deal. That is saying a lot as I am a huge social media person... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear on your experiences when you went through the 30 days without any social media but one thing is for sure, it is hard to imagine our lives with these tech and web giants but once we taste how it is, we can't let go of the stress free freedom.

      Delete
    2. At first I thought it would be incredibly difficult, I still had my phone but I deleted all my social media apps and I did not log into any of them for 30 days. Life was pretty good and I didn't really miss anything important. I could still email for important things and I was able to blog, so I kept busy with that. It was good for me in so many ways, it showed me that I really did spend too much time on the social media platforms and life was perfectly fine without them.. I would do it again in the future... but probably for a week here and there, since my blog is so wrapped up in my social media now :)

      Have a really great day Sakshi :)

      Delete
    3. I have deactivated my Facebook and it has been over a week. I am hardly online on whatsapp. Although social media is very helpful, it overwhelmed me. With so many news feed from people who do not care, I decided to opt out. Thank you for sharing!

      Have a great weekend! :)

      Delete
  4. productivity will drop if all these hp and gadgets are use at the work place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shouldn't forget that we do need technology at work place. It has made our lives easier and brought people closer. I wouldn't have been able to connect with all of you without this. As every coin has two sides, it has its own advantages and disadvantages too. We should just steer clear from the negatives :)

      Delete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your experience, and quite frankly, I had a similar experience when the battery of my smartphone swelled up and I was forced to use an old Nokia phone with no modern functionalities. Those few days of my life actually helped me stay away from the whatsapp and facebook addiction and I can say that I am actually thankful that such a thing happened.
    I truly agree to the fact that excess of anything is dangerous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that this happened to you. Such experiences are definitely an eye opener :)

      Delete
  6. This post has been selected for the Spicy Saturday Picks this week. Thank You for an amazing post! Cheers! Keep Blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much BlogAdda :)

      Delete
  7. I too feel that we get so addicted to these gadgets that we forget to talk to people around us. A nice post :) Congrats on the Spicy Saturday Pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with you, Sakshi :) Cellphones rule us, these days!
    Trying to maintain a distance :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with this post. There are days when I get tired of checking my phone ALL THE TIME. It's gotten to the point where I've deleted certain apps to keep me away from my phone longer. The other day I even contemplated "accidentally" dropping it from a five story building. We've become way too dependent on phones and the gap it "closes" between us and the outside world (which to me is just an illusion).

    Gemstones & Cities

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny to realize how addicted we can be when it comes to technology.

      Delete
  10. nice!
    do you follow each other?
    let me know!
    http://defishencia.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Videocon and stay in touch with your Contacts, Friends, and Loved ones.Seamless Roaming across India. National Roaming is Pre-Activated on Videocon Prepaid Connection with Zero Monthly Rentals. Tariff while Roaming anywhere in India:

    ReplyDelete

Capture some sunshine *winks*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...