Friday, 11 July 2014

A nostalgic blast from the past

I clutched the mp3 player in my hands tighter as the tune I listened was drifting me to the past. I have always called music as an effective mode of a time machine. Re-discovering my favorite old songs and my mp3 player which I neglected a while back when I fell in love with my iPod Touch, I was immersed in a deep thought. Nostalgia hit me, quite hard. I was astonished to see how much my life, my thoughts have changed in all these years and all it takes is one song, to bring all those memories back.

Not only songs, it could be anything that could trigger nostalgia and evoke memories that you thought lay dead within your brain. A photograph, a tune, a smell, a touch and before you know it, you're transported back in time to relive those moments that you had thought lost forever.

The other day, I saw an ice cream cart on my way to the mall. I saw a few children gathered around him eating ice lollies. That sight took me back instantly to a park that my mother used to take me as a kid and where I used to have an orange bar. Now, I don't have anything less than a Baskin Robin chocolate fudge. The under constructed building that I pass by almost all weekends where I had my first garlic bread and pizza with my dad which paved the way to my love for Italian cuisine further, the song on the radio from the long lost years, that reminds me of my childhood days and the person that I used to be and the list could go on.

The smell of rain reminds me of my grandmother home where I used to play in the rain and my grandmother made us tea and fried chips which she said was the perfect snack for a rainy day. The fragrance of Dior Addict makes me remind of my high school days.

Like every evening, I'm hearing children playing outside together happily which takes me back to the park I used to visit each Thursday and played the entire evening, sliding, building sandcastles and making friends from different countries while my mom and dad sat on a bench smiling at me.

I'll get teary eyed if I continue this post any further. It's amazing how as a child we want to grow up and become an adult and as soon you become one, you want to be a child once again but life doesn't work this way.




What triggers nostalgia in you? Share your experiences! Let's share stories and for at least a moment reminiscence the good times and the bad times that helped us shape into who we're today.

Follow me on: Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Bloglovin

17 comments:

  1. You're right :) I always feel transported back when I listen to old favorite songs-they remind me of how I felt when that song ran consistently through my head..
    Memories are preserved through feelings. When anything invokes a familiar feeling from the past, it causes the past to come rushing back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you a hundred percent.

      Delete
  2. Yeah how I wish I were a child again. And those childhood memories are hard to forget. Old photographs, things from my childhood, music triggers nostalgia in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that feeling in me most of my time. I guess, sometimes it's good to reflect back and see what made you the person we're today.

      Delete
  3. Music always takes me back.. different songs in different eras... whenever I hear the song Last Kiss.. I remember my sisters and I singing it on the balcony... good times.

    Other songs that bring back memories of people no longer in your life, those ones are sad, especially when there is no more contact when once you meant everything to each other.

    Pictures do this for me too...life is always triggered by memories...good or bad... learning from them is always good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always associated music with people. What is hard is to realize, the person whom you associated the music with is not the same anymore and hence, your favorite song has this strong power to make you cry.

      Delete
  4. Only when we grow up we could look back at the child in us that we left behind. Only as we move on we coukd look back at the past with nostalgia. These are the littke ironies that make this life worth its living.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice post. I often associate music with memories as well

    thelifeofez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Please don't forget to visit my blog
    http://tamboenman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog! Really nice post:)
    I love music that I can relate my own experiences to, I think that is the main cause for my favourite music - the lyrics.
    Beautiful!
    -Lauren xoxo
    http://pretty-things-a-n-d-polka-dots.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post. Most often for me, anything can trigger nostalgia. It can be anything. A talk with an old friend is the worst thing for me, because we just talk a lot about the past and that feeling kills me for few days until I take it out of my mind.

    Loved your blog, and post.

    Thanks for visiting my blog .

    ReplyDelete

Capture some sunshine *winks*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...