Friday, 24 October 2014

Are emoticons replacing emotions?



I just received a text from my dorm mate who lives next to my room asking me if I will go for dinner in the mess.

I also received a happy birthday text from my cousin at 12 on my birthday this year.

and this my dear friend does not amuse me.

Lets be honest for a minute or until you have read this post. How many of us sends birthday wishes or festive greetings on Facebook, text message or whatsapp? Most importantly, how many of us use mobile phones or a laptop to communicate with the people in the same house? Now that is insane!

Sometimes there are good reasons to use this method of communication. If you text or email, you have a better chance of remembering to perform a certain task and whose face doesn't light up when they can re-read those mushy conversation with their loved one time and again? but there are somethings that you need to talk face-to-face and we simply don't.

Are we being too addicted with the social media?

If we are then we are totally missing the point of why they were created in the first place.

However we may deny it,nothing can replace a verbal communication than a nor verbal one. But why are we running away from real conversation? Why do we tend to take the easier way out and text someone rather than calling them or meeting them?

I think it is partly because of the busy life everyone has these days or they like to call themselves busy, that is. It is much easier to text a message than call and have to make a small talk.

It is easier to reply to a message than a phone call.

We don't want to invest our time to have a proper heart to heart talk with our loved ones and instead exchange a line or two than participate in a meaningful debate.

While this is easier, we tend to miss out on so many things than we realize. The warmth, the conversation, it all goes so deep from here.

"We are creating a world that is replacing emotions with emoticons"

The next time you want to tell someone something. Stop! Don't whatsapp him/her. Pick up the phone and call.

Sometimes it is better to hear a human voice rather than the ping of the phone.

Sometimes it is better to hear the laugh of someone rather than see a yellow face who seems to laugh in the text message as an emoticon.

Also read: How I lived without my phone for a day and interacted with real people

Follow me on: Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Bloglovin | Instagram

25 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you, there's so many forms of communication online, I struggle sometimes to use my phone as a phone rather than a keyboard. This weekend I will call people, just to say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that would be an excellent way to strengthen relationships this weekend :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Sakshi... I still try to make a call as much as I can, some people would rather text or interact online... I miss real conversation :)

    I remember reading about a friend of mine who got into a relationship and they talk to each other on Facebook on each others walls... it's okay to leave a cute message but really, you are in the same house sitting a seat or two away and you can't talk to them? I would say that is not a good idea, sharing our lives with meaningful conversation is more important :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd much rather ring someone than text them. I'll openly admit that I'm a social media addict, but I limit the time I spent on it nowadays. Thanks for linking up to the #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that there still are people who have the same opinion as mine.

      Delete
  4. I absolutely agree. In the good old days having a chat with someone on the phone was a pleasure, now nobody has time for it anymore, which is sad #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surely is. The illusion of being busy convinces us that we no longer have the time for such methods of communication.

      Delete
  5. Soo true... On tht new yr day... I sent wishes to all my frnds on WhatsApp, bt that seem dry in front of calls of frnd n hearing their voice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I hope you start calling them instead or better have 'real' communication than the 'virtual' one :)

      Delete
  6. I have to agree with you. Things are so impersonal these days and I think it is a great shame. Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see your point, Sakshi, and I do agree with you to an extent. I am someone who is very guilty of using a text or email instead of a call, even when a call is much more appropriate. I often get chastised for it. But my reason is that phone calls cause me an IMMENSE amount of anxiety. I don't know why. They just do! Even when the phone call is with someone very close to me.

    So, I do recognize that a lot of people are simply being lazy when choosing to use social media in place of a phone call. But for some of us, there is a valid reason (even if we can't make sense of it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. There are times when I don't want to be bothered with a phone call from people and I ignore them but then these are those people with whom I am not close with nor I really care about. In the post, I'm talking about the people who matters to you in life :)

      Delete
  8. Somehow, I can't help but agree with you. And the coming generation is even worse than us. Don't know where the world will go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm old school? Haha. Even in my own generation, I feel the generation gap.

      Delete
  9. You've said it all. I hope more people will realize the value of talking face to face or on the phone over sending emoticons. We need more of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I love your blog, all your posts are inspirational and amazing. I'm starting a blog and your blog has really inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means so much to me. Thank you :)

      Delete
  11. I love this post for so many reasons. I'd rather call than text, I'd rather hear my friends' voices, but they always say they're to busy to talk over the phone. Next time I'm going to call anyway. Most of the time they do have time to talk after all :)
    I'm also having trust issues with people these days because of the way everyone uses emoticons. No idea if they're actually laughing about my bad jokes or just sending me a laughing emoticon so as not to hurt my feelings.

    You write amazing posts! You've got a new follower ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally understand you. We share the same thoughts....
      ...
      and thank you! :D

      Delete
  12. This has made me think of my friend who I have only communicated with text for more than a decade now.

    Maybe I will call and hear his voice some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that day is soon. You have no idea how good you would feel later :)

      Delete

Capture some sunshine *winks*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...