Saturday, 21 February 2015

Write a stronger book instead of banning one: Interview with Yasser Usman (Part 3)

Read part 2 here: Rajesh Khanna loneliness killed him: Yasser Usman

Sakshi Raina: Did you find any difficulties in finding all these resources and integrating them together coherently?

Yasser Usman: Yeah. Normally in our Indian society  and not talking about only Bollywood, even general people are not open to talk about their personal lives. It is not so difficult in the west.

At the same time so much was covered about Rajesh Khanna during his superstar days. I spoke to his family and they said that they weren't interested. I think that they were scared or the other reason could be that they didn't knew me. I understand their point of view.

But his life was covered so extensively that I had to gather all those magazines and newspapers. It took me around 1.5 years. It was difficult but it was worth it!

Sakshi Raina: You're also a blogger.

Yasser Usman: Am I?

Sakshi Raina: You own a blog where you write movie reviews. It's not active though but yeah.

Yasser Usman: Actually yes. I'm very lazy to blog. I have watched all the Hindi movie since the last 20 years. Every Friday morning, I have to wake up and catch the first day first show. It's been a ritual. Even when I wasn't a professional, I did it and now I'm in media. I do it in Hindi because it is a Hindi channel.

 I used to be an active blogger when I used to write for a website called dearcinema.com. It was a very popular website. It has now been shutdown. Now since you have reminded me, i'll update it once i'm back.

Sakshi Raina: What is your view on paid journalism?

Yasser Usman: It is bad. It exist but not all journalist participate in this. For example, if you take The Times Of India, there is a small disclaimer in the bottom that says that they aren't promoting this and is paid.

Sakshi Raina: It's a different thing. I'm talking about journalist being said to take sides of a political party and be biased.

Yasser Usman: It has always existed Sakshi from the beginning. It is just that the war is too much in the open now. People are taking sides. Not every journalist are a part, there are a few of them but as a policy, I feel that it is very bad. I have never been a part of it nor I endorse it but it has always existed.

.....
and my favorites! Something that he said in a way that got me new insights and I couldn't help more but agree. I have learned so much from him.

Yasser Usman on freedom of speech:
If they tell you to ban books or movies. My stand on it is that if you're angry with my book or unhappy with my book, write a book and prove it to me that it was wrong. I'm okay with that. Write a stronger book and tell me how it should be done. This should be the solution, not banning the book. Then what is the meaning of freedom of speech?

Yasser Usman on Ebooks Vs Paperbacks: 
Let's not compare paperback books and e-books. It doesn't matter. It's like saying, do you prefer a VHS Tape or a DVD? How does it matter? They both were good in their times. At the core, the content matters. If a book is bad, how does it matter to read it in an e-book or a paper book? It is the reading that matters.

You can find Yasser Usman on his website or Twitter.

Click here to buy his book on Flipkart.


Follow me on: Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Bloglovin | Instagram | Subscribe through E-mail

25 comments:

  1. I follow your conversation with Yasser Usman, first thing first I really appreciate the idea of dividing your conversation in parts-nicely done. Your interview with him was very interactive and raise my interest towards his book and thank you for letting us know his sincerity towards his work
    keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can find more details about his book in the link below the post :)

      Delete
  2. I like what he said about writing a better book instead of banning the book you don't like... I think there has to be freedom of speech as there should always be freedom of choice... no on should decide for another xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the things he said that I couldn't help but agree more. It made such an impact!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this post and thanks for linking up #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be glad u did this,nice insight into a jounalist's life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not know her. I am happy to note that she also blogged about movies like I do. I hope my movie blog also leads to bigger things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very nice interview! Thanks for sharing with us! It is always nice to see people's different views on certain subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bias should never be a part of journalism. Again and again, media is expected to be the objective one, but most of the time, they fail at it. Leaning to the truth is hard, of course we know that, but covering the truth is always bad. So I agree with Usman. I wish he elaborated on it more but the gist is there. it exists ever since the beginning of time. sad

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Usman said was true about banning books. They should just right something better to prove that what was written is wrong. Maybe they are just jealous or scared because of the reality that the book is revealing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely agree with mr.usman about ebooks and paperback. Content is what really matters. On the other side e-books are more handy. You can read an e-book everywhere so i think that e-books stand a better chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice interview. Great to know stories of her inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's true that paid journalism might not be the best as it might be skewed, but yet again, many people are not compensated properly for their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice post - a great insight into journalism! Nice interview! Sim

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love interviews it gives us a chance to learn what others think and how they got there

    ReplyDelete
  14. i definitley agree with his answer to the last question

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honestly, I don't know him, but I search his site and I found out that he blog, he writes, and also a director and a journalist. And bagged an award for Excellence in Journalism in the Film & Television in Broadcast category--- Wow! You are so privilege to interview him in person. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agree with Yasser Usman the content matters not about the e-book or paperback

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes, you really just got to show the people rather than to just criticize stuff - this is awesome. I have to agree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are very wise words for someone who has been in the industry for a long time. The one about banning books is also my favorite because he just makes so much sense!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think journalist should be more neutral unless it's really their principle and it's not something they are paid to do. She has really unique views on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never been a fan of censorship, regardless of the content of the book. There is a ton of literature in the world, and if people dislike an author or a book, they shouldn't bother to read it

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everyone is free to speak whatever he likes and be comfortable to express his/her own personal thoughts without having to be censored. Banning makes things worse. Great point to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with your point. One problem of this generation is that Journalism is mixed up with money and fame.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview session... Free to speak up is important.. Censoring is acceptable for me, but with limitation though~

    ReplyDelete

Capture some sunshine *winks*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...